This page is now archived because it relates to information for the previous school year.
Specialized Education Services
We believe that all students, regardless of background or circumstance, can achieve at the highest levels. DCPS is committed to providing families of students with disabilities clear information regarding the special education process, programs and services, and changes as a result of virtual learning.
Whether learning at school or at home, the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) is a federal law that remains in effect.
- All instruction and student learning begins with the general education curriculum.
- The Individualized Education Program (IEP) remains the legal document that describes each child’s plan.
- The IEP process and steps are intact.
- Quarterly progress reports will be issued.
- Self-contained programs maintain their staffing structure.
Virtual Service Delivery
DCPS is starting School Year 2020-2021 with an all-virtual instructional model. Individualized distance learning plans (IDLPs) will be created by special education teachers in collaboration with parents to help apply each student’s IEP during virtual learning.
This means all services will be provided virtually. The learning at home experience may include co-taught and/or small group or individual lessons with a special education teacher. IEP meetings will also take place virtually.
School Year 2020-2021 Special Education Programs and Resources for Families Guide
Parents, families and community members play an essential role in the education of their children, especially when a child has a disability and needs special services. You are an expert on your child and his or her most important advocate. This guide is meant to give you a brief overview of the programs and services we offer to our students with disabilities.
Download the SY20-21 Special Education guide for families at the following links (opens a new window on the DCPS website):
- Family Programs and Resources Guide – English – 1.0 MB (pdf)
- Family Programs and Resources Guide – Amharic – 1.2 MB (pdf)
- Family Programs and Resources Guide – Chinese – 1.3 MB (pdf)
- Family Programs and Resources Guide – French – 1.0 MB (pdf)
- Family Programs and Resources Guide – Spanish – 968.5 KB (pdf)
- Family Programs and Resources Guide – Vietnamese – 1018.6 KB (pdf)
The DCPS Specialized Instruction team hosted a series of Parent University sessions, covering topics such as related services, on-line resources, specialized instruction, and progress monitoring. To watch recordings of these sessions in English or Spanish, click the links below.
Page updated: 12/29/20